Mu Performing Arts and Artistic Director Randy Reyes invite you to experience an unparalleled variety of events in our 2015-16 Season of theater and taiko!
Celebrate 50 years of Asian American theater with Mu Performing Arts this season. Bringing you new taiko performances and innovative works from the heart of the Asian American experience, as well as our 50th World Premiere production.
November 5 - November 8
Assistant Director: Emma Valentine
Featuring Los Angeles-based taiko group ON ENSEMBLE
November 28 - November 29
Starring Jasmine herself, Mu's annual holiday cabaret! A night of songs, smiles, and seasonal delights!
by Jessica Huang
December 4 - December 20
WORLD PREMIERE production by Minnesota playwright Jessica Huang
WORLD PREMIEREWhen you’re hapa, you know deep down you’re greater than the sum of your many parts. In Purple Cloud, three generations of Huangs deal with the many facets of their multiracial identities as – accompanied by four Jade Pieces– they embark on a mythical journey from China to America and back again. Through three intertwining stories, we see the Huang family through the messy and beautiful business of acculturation: Grandpa Lee immigrates from Shanghai to America during World War II; his son Orville deals with his confusion as a first generation Asian American, taught to pass as white and unsure of his own blood; and his granddaughter fights for her Chinese-ness through a tattoo of a deer and the search for her true name.
by Mia Chung
February 20 - March 6
Associate Producers Greg and Penny Anderson
REGIONAL PREMIERE at the Guthrie Theater's Dowling Studio
- Sunday February 21 (1:00PM performance) Guest: Playwright Mia Chung
- Thursday February 25 (7:30PM performance) Guest: Dr. Rich Lee, Professor of Psychology and the Editor of the Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology at the University of Minnesota
- Saturday, February 27 (7:30PM performance) Guests: Julia Nekessa Opati and Angilee Shah from Gazillion Strong
- Thursday, March 3 (7:30PM performance)
- Saturday, March 5 (7:30PM performance) Guest: Hyon Kim of Freedom for North Korean Refugees of Minnesota
by Victor Maog
June 16 - June 26
WORLD PREMIERE production in partnership with the JEROME FOUNDATION